Chief Operating Officer COO
Central Arizona Shelter Services (CASS), is a non-profit 501 (c)(3), and the largest provider of emergency shelter and housing solutions to adults and families experiencing homelessness in Arizona. The mission of CASS is to empower men, women, and children with diverse needs to end their homelessness by helping them establish and maintain permanent housing. For more information about CASS, please visit our website at www.cassaz.org.
The Chief Operating Officer is responsible for leadership and the execution of organizational objectives at the direction of the CEO. Duties include: oversight of day-to-day operations at all sites (2 shelters, 1 empowerment center) including programs, finance, human resources, facilities, and IT. The COO oversees the collection and reporting of program performance data and collaborates with the CEO, management peers and partners on strategically important initiatives and opportunities.
Operations, Policies and Procedures
- Oversee overall operational policies and procedures across all functional areas to ensure efficiency, contract compliance, and mitigate risk.
- Monitor and revise policies and procedures across functional areas and ensure they are accurate, efficient, and reflect current practice. Foster continuous improvement in all policies and procedures.
- Oversee Human Resources function to ensure appropriate policies and procedures are followed in serving the staff as well as meeting compliance requirements and regulations. Ensure the completion of annual performance reviews, propose and administer approved salary adjustments.
- Oversee planning, maintenance and efficient use of facilities, technology, equipment and vehicles.
- Prepare accurate and timely internal and external operational reports and statistical and narrative management reports.
Financial Oversight and Risk Management
- Assist in the development of the annual budget and proactively monitor expenditures by department.
- Recognize financial and operational risks, proactively plan cost reductions and efficiencies to address the risks, and implement the plans on a timely basis to avoid undue operational disruptions.
- Ensure contractual compliance and that required documentation is captured and retained.
- Oversee processes and procedures to ensure efficient , responsible inventory controls, and storage and use of procured and donated items.
Collaborate with Peers and Partner Agencies
- Collaborate with the CEO, management peers and partners on strategically important program initiatives, development opportunities, and community outreach.
- Collaborate with organizational peers to define appropriate functional performance metrics and goals.
- Effectively collaborate with campus and community partners and outside agencies to advance the vision and mission of CASS to best serve our clients.
- Assume leadership role in the absence of the CEO.
- Represent CASS in the community.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned by the CEO.
Needed Competencies and Proficiencies
- Ability to quickly build trust and strong relationships with staff, peers, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with quickly evolving urgencies; able to remain calm and in control when issues arise by using long-term goals and objectives to help guide the way forward.
- Team oriented with a preference for working in a collaborative setting that values diverse opinions.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to quickly recognize potential issues, discern viable options and priorities, and take timely action to avoid or minimize organizational or operational disruption.
This job primarily operates in a professional office environment however, occasional off-site venues and outside event areas in various weather conditions are expected. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds unassisted. The employee must be able to self-transfer and move throughout the facilities, between buildings, and around campus at multiple sites. Close visual acuity to prepare and analyze reports and data. Visual acuity and physical ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time exempt position. Days and hours of work are typically Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Evening and weekend work may be occasionally required as job duties demand. Travel is primarily local during the business day.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of seven years of experience in the non-profit/social services sector with strong experience in relevant organizational leadership and supervisory roles.
- Demonstrated ability to manage risk by proactively planning for exigencies and taking timely action.
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative and qualitative analysis and the ability to translate complex data into terms and meaning relevant for a targeted audience.
- Strong writing and communication skills with proficiency in Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- State of Arizona Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card or the ability to obtain one.
- Master’s degree.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with organizational learning and change.
- Experience working with individuals and/or families struggling to end their homelessness.
- Familiarity and basic proficiency with Homeless Management Information System (HMIS).
- Important Notes
We value diversity. EOE
We offer a rich benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) with employer match, 10 paid holidays, paid sick leave, and PTO.
Pay: from $90,000/year
Job Status: Full Time