Community Outreach Coordinator
Central Arizona Shelter Services (CASS), is a non-profit 501 (c)(3), and the largest provider of emergency shelter and housing solutions to adults and families experiencing homelessness in Arizona. The mission of CASS is to empower men, women, and children with diverse needs to end their homelessness by helping them establish and maintain permanent housing. For more information about CASS, please visit our website at www.cassaz.org.
Job Summary: The Community Outreach Coordinator is an important member of the Central Arizona Shelter Services (CASS) Development Team, responsible for fostering community engagement in CASS’ mission. This position is responsible for planning, organizing and directing CASS’ Volunteer Program, managing the In-Kind Donations Program, and helping in the execution of CASS’ external communications and community outreach strategy.
Coordinate growth and cultivation of CASS’ Volunteer Program:
- Work with CASS peers, as appropriate, to develop one-time events and on-going tasks or activities that address programmatic needs and can be completed by volunteers.
- Organize, coordinate and manage the recruitment and retention of individual and group volunteers.
- Work with social, civic and local organizations to develop partnerships to engage volunteers.
- Develop and implement appropriate orientation and training for volunteers.
- Schedule and facilitate volunteer meetings as needed; keep CASS staff informed of volunteer plans and activities.
- Develop and implement a volunteer recognition program.
- Maintain and improve volunteer policies and procedures.
- Maintain volunteer contact lists and records of all volunteer activities; issue periodic impact reports.
Coordinate In-kind Donations Program:
- Work with CASS Programs and Facilities staff to identify items suitable for in-kind donations; work with Development Team to communicate the needs through community outreach and media.
- Oversee in-kind donation intake process to efficiently optimize needed items; coordinate and schedule pick-ups with agency driver and communicate storage needs to shelter and facilities staff.
- Foster community relationships with new and existing community partners and donors to address programmatic in-kind donations needs, including maintaining wish lists and regular contact with local companies and individuals.
- Ensure appropriate contact, documentation and acknowledgment for in-kind donations.
- Maintain in-kind donations policies and procedures and manage the processes.
- Maintain accurate and updated in-kind donation records; work with Finance to record the value of in-kind donations.
- Work with Development Team members to implement external communication and marketing plans.
- Update and monitor CASS’ social media pages with an emphasis on supporting CASS’ communication strategy and goals and promoting specialized awareness campaigns.
- Work with CASS peers, as appropriate, on community and 3rd party events, supporting planning efforts and logistics when needed.
- Share with community members and donors the story of CASS and our clients by conducting tours of CASS facilities and participating in community tabling events.
- Perform other duties as required.
Needed Competencies and Proficiencies
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet multiple deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to engage and effectively communicate and collaborate with a broad range of individuals.
- Adaptable, curious and articulate with self-initiative and an innate desire to get things done.
- Commitment to a solution-focused work environment and the clear intention to meet agency expectations.
- Comfortable using technology to collaborate with peers, communicate externally, maintain records, and generate documents and reports.
This job primarily operates in a professional office environment however, occasional off-site venues and outside event areas in various weather conditions are expected. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds unassisted. The employee must be able to self-transfer and move throughout the facilities, between buildings, and around campus at multiple sites. Close visual acuity to prepare and analyze reports and data. Visual acuity and physical ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. with time allotted for breaks/lunch. Evening and weekend work may be occasionally required as job duties demand. Travel is primarily local during the business day.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of one year of experience working with volunteers and/or donors.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook calendaring; highly accurate data entry skills.
- Minimum of one year experience working on a team that uses social media.
- Reliable transportation and valid Arizona driver license, proof of insurance and a 39-month satisfactory driving record; must be willing and able to use personal vehicle for off-site events.
- State of Arizona Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card or the ability to obtain one.
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, communication or related field.
- Prior experience as volunteer coordinator for public or nonprofit employer.
- Prior experience creating and implementing volunteer programs and training.
- Experience with Volgistics and DonorPerfect databases.
We value diversity. EOE
We offer a rich benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) with employer match, 10 paid holidays, paid sick leave, and PTO.
Pay: $17 to $18/hour
Job Status: Full Time