HOMELESS SHELTER VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR SEASONAL OVERNIGHTS
Central Arizona Shelter Services (CASS), is a non-profit 501 (c)(3), and the largest provider of emergency shelter and housing solutions to adults and families experiencing homelessness in Arizona. The mission of CASS is to empower men, women, and children with diverse needs to end their homelessness by helping them establish and maintain permanent housing. For more information about CASS, please visit our website at www.cassaz.org.
***This is a temporary seasonal position at a summertime Weather Relief Shelter expected to run from approximately June 1-October 1, 2019. There is a $500 incentive for remaining employed until the assignment ends. The weekly schedule is three 12-hour shifts, 6pm-6am***
Oversee Shelter volunteer program:
- Coordinate the recruitment, retention and recognition of volunteers;
- Train and evaluate volunteers on expectations and duties with regard to Weather Relief Shelter;
- Ensure ongoing availability of motivated and trained volunteers to meet various needs;
- Ensure accurate reporting of monthly data of volunteer working hours and other key performance areas;
- Maintain open lines of communication and working relationships among volunteers and staff members as well as with other departments and external agencies/providers.
Provide direct client support:
- Register new clients, issue photo ID; explain shelter rules and policies;
- Observe and assess agitation levels in order to proactively defuse crisis situations;
- Perform daily check-in of clients in Homeless Management Information System (HMIS);
- Attend to client needs, answer questions, resolve problems and escalate to Supervisor when necessary;
- Monitor bed occupancy to ensure maximum usage;
- Conduct hourly/random walk-throughs of facility ensuring conditions are safe and clients are adhering to shelter policies and procedures;
- Provide clients with information and referrals.
Work with the Shelter team to provide an efficient Shelter operation:
- Communicate and collaborate with other CASS departments and employees and outside agencies;
- Enter relevant data in HMIS accurately and according to Shelter policies and procedures;
- Maintain adequate and organized stock of office and cleaning supplies and hygiene items; distribute hygiene items to clients as needed;
- Prepare Nightly Reports, Incident Reports (IR), and other reports as requested;
- Maintain a clean, organized work area; wipe down counters and chairs on every shift;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Proven ability to be flexible and manage multiple priorities in a fast paced environment.
Physical Activities and Working Conditions:
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, moving from one workspace to another;
- Sitting at a desk for extended periods of time to accomplish tasks;
- Ability to lift, carry, push or pull objects up to 20 pounds unassisted;
- Manual dexterity in order to use keyboard and mouse.
- Minimum age of 18;
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Possess or have the ability to obtain a State of Arizona Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card;
- Possess a moderate level of proficiency in data entry, Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Bilingual in English and Spanish;
- Experience working with the homeless and / or impoverished.
Pay: from $16/hour
Job Status: Full Time,Contract/Temporary,Seasonal