HOUSING SPECIALIST FULL-TIME
Central Arizona Shelter Services (CASS), is a non-profit 501 (c)(3), and the largest provider of emergency shelter and housing solutions to adults and families experiencing homelessness in Arizona. The mission of CASS is to empower men, women, and children with diverse needs to end their homelessness by helping them establish and maintain permanent housing. For more information about CASS, please visit our website at www.cassaz.org.
CASS has an immediate employment opportunity for a housing specialist to work with and assist clients in identifying, applying for, and securing housing in the community; recruit new landlords willing to work with clients experiencing barriers to housing including but not limited to: criminal history, credit history, and employment history.
Provide direct supportive housing placement services:
- Engage clients through outreach and personal contact in order to schedule intake appointments;
- Conduct an assessment interview with client to obtain as much relevant information as possible to identify barriers to obtaining and maintaining housing;
- Provide housing resources based on client needs and preferences, including type, location, rental amounts;
- Provide education to clients in areas of tenant rights and responsibilities.
Conduct frequent follow-up meetings with clients to provide continued support in achieving housing placement:
- Follow up on housing leads given to clients in previous appointments;
- Assist client to obtain and complete applications;
- Address any barriers to housing, including but not limited to: criminal history, credit history, and employment history;
- Take clients by CASS van to view properties and complete lease applications;
- Make detailed case notes in HMIS system on a timely basis.
Coordinate client move-outs:
- Arrange or provide transportation in CASS vehicle to move client to apartment;
- Attend client lease signing and assist client with understanding lease;
- Assis client with applying for move-in funds, as available;
- Assist client with obtaining small move-in items;
- Facilitate a warm hand-off to client’s home-based case manager.
Develop and maintain relationships with property managers:
- Maintain consistent communication with property managers throughout the housing search and application process;
- Act as an advocate for the client;
- Recruit landlords whose tenant screening criteria will provide opportunities for applicants with barriers related to criminal and credit histories;
- Develop and maintain an updated list of housing providers and relationships with housing providers in Maricopa County.
- Build relationships with campus partners;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Proven ability to be flexible and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to a solution-focused work environment and the clear intention to meet clients’ expectations;
- Provide excellent customer service and maintain professional boundaries;
- Ability to remain cool-headed and make good decisions in difficult situations.
Physical Activities and Working Conditions:
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, moving about the campus;
- Sitting at a desk for extended periods of time to accomplish tasks;
- Ability to lift, carry, push or pull objects up to 20 pounds unassisted;
- Manual dexterity in order to use keyboard and mouse;
- Close visual acuity to prepare and analyze reports and data;
- Visual acuity to operate a motor vehicle.
Skills / Requirements
- Two years college education and Two years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experienced;
- Knowledge of landlord-tenant laws, American’s with Disabilities Act, Fair Housing, Section 8 and other regulations related to affordable housing;
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Word, Excel and Outlook calendaring; highly accurate data entry and case notation skills;
- Valid Arizona driver License, insurance and satisfactory 39-month driving record;
- Possess Arizona Driver’s License, insurance and driving record that meets agency standards;
- Must have reliable transportation, and be willing to use personal vehicle for work-related purposes;
- Possess or have the ability to obtain State of Arizona Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card.
- Bachelor’s degree in social or behavioral science or related field and six months directly related experience;
- Experience working with the homeless or impoverished;
- Knowledge of public assistance programs.
CASS offers a complete benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long term disability benefits, a retirement plan with employer match and a generous paid time off, sick pay and holiday benefit.
WE DRUG TEST.
Pay: from $15/hour
Job Status: Full Time