LEAD HOMELESS SHELTER WORKER - Noon-11:00 PM
Provide leadership and support to staff during shift. Ensure a successful and productive shift by providing a safe, orderly, and caring environment while assisting clients with their daily needs; provide community resources and referrals to assist and empower single adults experiencing homelessness to establish and maintain permanent housing. This is a fast-paced role.
Provide direct client support and staff supervision at the Shelter:
- Establish a fair, respectful, supportive environment for all clients;
- Ensure that staff adhere to the highest standards of customer service and embody CASS values;
- Prepare daily chore list for client volunteers; coordinate, train and assist client volunteers to ensure duties are properly and promptly accomplished;
- Attend to client needs, resolve issues and escalate when necessary;
- Ensure staff and clients uphold Shelter and Case Management policies and procedures;
- Provide clients with information and referrals; document the interaction(s) in Homeless Management Information System (HMIS);
- Mediate client disagreements and take proactive steps to ensure that clients are following shelter policies and procedures; seek support of managers and/or security when needed.
Provide leadership and support to shift staff and clients:
- Provide leadership to staff to ensure a productive and successful shift;
- Delegate assignments and work stations; maintain an even workload for staff; coordinate break and lunch times to ensure adequate coverage;
- Train new-hires, provide direction; serve as mentor and coach;
- Provide assistance and support to staff. Provide performance feedback to Manager for Performance Evaluations;
- Provide employee recognition awards and team building activities; maintain a positive, motivated, work environment free of harassment and bias;
- Maintain knowledge of community resources and referrals; establish and maintain professional rapport with all departments and outside agencies;
- Foster a solution-focused environment that is fair and consistent, with the intention to engage clients and meet their service expectations;
- Perform duties of Shelter Support Staff.
Ensure the smooth operation of the Shelter:
- Ensure policies and procedures are fairly and consistently upheld to provide a safe, orderly, and caring environment;
- Serve as point of contact for Welcome Center transfers, volunteers, outreach groups, Crisis Navigators and Case Managers;
- Manage radio check-out and check-in for shift;
- Monitor bed occupancy to ensure maximum usage;
- Ensure that staff conduct regular walk-throughs of facility to determine that all conditions are safe and clients are adhering to shelter policies and procedures; report any safety concerns to Supervisor, Facilities or Security;
- Review daily bed logs, client files, required paperwork and HMIS entries to verify accuracy and completion before end of shift.
- Review all Incident Reports (IR) for accuracy and quality assurance prior to submission to management; ensure that all incidents from shift are documented in an IR; report all client injuries in an IR;
- Report all employee work-related injuries per CASS Employee Handbook; coordinate transportation to Occupational Health Provider for injured worker;
- Monitor Shelter inventory to ensure that the necessary levels of supplies are maintained;
- Coordinate the receipt and distribution of donations;
- Maintain adequate and organized stock of office and cleaning supplies and hygiene items; distribute hygiene items to clients as needed;
- Make sound decisions in the absence of Supervisor;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Commitment to a solution-focused work environment and the clear intention to meet client expectations;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Able to provide clear-headed direction to staff when conflicts, crisis and emergency situations arise.
This job primarily operates in both a public and shelter indoor environment however occasional off-site venues and outside event areas in various weather conditions are expected. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds unassisted. The employee must be able to self-transfer and move throughout the facilities, between buildings, and around campus at multiple sites. Close visual acuity to prepare and analyze reports and data. Visual acuity and physical ability to operate a motor vehicle. This is an active and fast-paced role.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. The work shift is Noon-11:00 pm. Days and hours of work may vary, and include evenings, weekends, and holidays. Time is allotted for breaks/lunch.
Skills / Requirements
- Minimum age of 18;
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Intermediate proficiency in Word, Excel and Outlook calendaring; highly accurate data entry skills;
- State of Arizona Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card or the ability to obtain one;
- CPR-First Aid certification within 90 days of employment;
- Naloxone (Narcan) training within 90 days of employment.
- Experience working with the homeless or impoverished;
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
CASS isn't just an equal opportunity employer. We are actively seeking to build a diverse and inclusive team with a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills that will support our agency's mission and vision. CASS does not discriminate against qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, disability or medical condition (including genetics), national origin, veteran status, gender identify, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, and local anti-discrimination laws.
CASS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, a retirement plan, paid holidays, paid sick time, and a generous PTO plan.
CASS IS A DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE, AND WE DRUG TEST.
Pay: from $16.50/hour
Job Status: Full Time